Our kiddos

Our kiddos
Eli and Addy

Monday, August 27, 2007

"Throw Up" Your Rawkfist

So, I evidently have way too much time on my hands because I caught myself pondering the meaning of life yet again. Only this time, I wasn't thinking about it in terms of some significant destiny I have yet to fulfill. It was more like the complexity and construction of the human body. The amazing way that the human body works.....it really is the trademark signature of our Heavenly Papa.

Last week, I came down with this wicked-nasty stomach virus. It was so bad that I literally could not stand up straight. Without going into too much detail....there was a lot of nastiness involved with this wretched thing.

My wife is seven months pregnant and we have a four-year-old little man, so I was quarantined from my house for two and a half days for fear that I would make everyone else sick. Needless to say, I was hurting. I was sick, I was away from my wife, away from my son, away from my bed, my dog wouldn't play with me, I was throwing up everywhere, I looked like the hunchback of Notre Dame 'cause I couldn't stand up straight........and I had nowhere to go................. So, I went to the only place that has to take you in........I went to my mom's and she made me chicken noodle soup and it was good.

So, I'm on my way to my mom's where my dad was supposed to have left the front door unlocked, as I have no key. I get there and slowly crawl to the front door only to find that the door is locked.........pooh! So, I decided I would lay down in the driveway and wait for him to get there. As I was laying there, I remember thinking......."I'm about to yak." Now, in my youth, I would've been terrified. I hated throwing up. In this case, I hurriedly crawled to the grass and started the process of preparing to vomit. In the midst of releasing my dinner from the night before I was struck with the reality that this is how the human body works. It stinks sometimes - no pun intended - but in all reality, when we have a virus, our body is built to defend itself. Vomitting is a defense mechanism for our body - it gets rid of all the "yuckie's" (as my son would say).

As a child, I used to despise throwing up. I would cry and pray for God to keep me from "being sick." As an adult, however, I'm able to look at things differently. Now it's like, "Look, if we're gonna do this, let's get it on so I can get back to bed." Don't ask me why it hit me when it did - but now I look at it in a very different light.

It really is crazy-wack-funky if you think about the way we, as humans, are able to perform certain tasks. Look at our hands with fingers that just happen to wrap around things enabling us to grab hold and grip. Look at the way our muscles are constructed. The way our lungs work - the fact that we use oxygen. Take the human eye for example......what an amazing mechanism that can only be accomplished by an inventor like my God. Look at pregnancy or child birth....you cannot tell me there's no God.

So, the next time you get sick......don't look at it like it's the worst thing ever.....look at it as a refining process. Your body is refining itself and defending itself from all the "yuckies."

I hate to ask.....but, any thoughts?

2 comments:

SassyCass said...

this entire post made me think of driving up to Mt.Nebo sittin in the passenger seat and being so car sick. Being so helpful, you decide it would be best to repeat "GOULASH" a million times to try and make me puke...

to this day that word still makes me dry heave

-Fish

Ginger Estes said...

First and foremost...there are very few things better than Mom's chicken noodle soup and TLC when we are sick. Secondly, the fact that our God spends time with us when we are so humanly "sick" must be taken into consideration. Yes, He developed us, yes- he created us, yes- he puts up with us. These are all things to make us think, "hhhmmm". I certainly wouldn't have the patience to care for 10 billion people who are sick, I do well to take care of my two guys that I love the most in life - Can you fathom the amount of love it takes? Mind boggling.

Love ya!

What we do....

What we do....
Our Calling