Our kiddos

Our kiddos
Eli and Addy

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Much to avail...

James 5:16 says that we should confess our sins to each other and pray for each other; that we may be healed. It goes on to say that "the effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." I started thinking about that whole phrase.....about healing through prayer....about how intense prayer can work wonders. I've always known that prayer is extremely powerful. I've seen it - lived it - been a recipient and part of the prayer-chain. But I still get convicted by James' last line - the effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much - wow!

Webster's dictionary defines fervent as "exhibiting or marked by great intensity of feeling." Webster's also defines effectual as "producing or able to produce a desired effect."

Righteousness.....does it really even need a definition? Righteousness is the very essence of God! Is it even attainable for humans? Obviously it is if James is encouraging us to be righteous. But, man, the intensity of that word! Holy cow! Could I become a righteous man? I think it all boils down to priorities. Are my priorities that of God's? What are my priorities? Have I set my mind on the things of God? I mean, isn't that what it means to be righteous?

As I sit here and think about myself, really analyzing myself, I do not consider myself a righteous man. I want to be! No doubt about it! I want to be righteous. Like I said in a previous post, I want to be a man after God's own heart, like David. That's probably why I feel convicted. I am always aware of my priorities versus that of God's and I have no problem, whatsoever, casting myself aside to take His task on. Therefore, I feel, in my spirit, that I am focused on the will of the Father, even when I don't even know it. But, I don't see myself as righteous.

Righteousness means to be free from guilt and sin, to be like-minded with Jesus, to will and act according to the Word of God. I am free of guilt, but not so much sin. Sure, there were times (and still are to some extent) that I was plagued by guilt and shame. But, once I realized the power over and the freedom from bondage we as believers have been given, it's easier for me to realize that I am not a slave to it. For sin, on the other hand, who is free from sin? Perhaps that's the reason the Bible says that "there is none righteous, no not one." Which leads me to believe that righteousness is something we should strive for - somewhat like perfection. Some believe perfection is unattainable - John Wesley, founder of Methodism, believed you could reach perfection in your thought-life, thus becoming like-minded with Christ.

The whole concept is mind-boggling, but fascinating all at the same time. It's really pretty intense. Will I ever be perfect - of course not. But, I can train myself to think according to Scripture. Anyone can. It doesn't take a Biblical scholar or priest - an average, everyday Joe can be taught to live a life of righteousness. It's about my will versus His will.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

CassieO said...

Righteousness makes me think of my Mommy. She was all about it. Figuring it out and striving to live it. We were having one of our talks one day about righteousness. She always associted choosing the light of life and becoming righteous. Your post made me think of something I thought about during mine and Moms talk...

Isaiah says in Chapter 42 "I, the Lord, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand." -- So the way I've begun thinking of how to live a life of righteousness is this---

God and I are walking along, right beside me each step. In one hand He holds mine and the other He is holding a little lamp that gives off just enough light for me to see where I need to make my next move. All I have to do is look to the light!

--Anywho, your post reminded me of that.. Thanks <><

What we do....

What we do....
Our Calling