Our kiddos

Our kiddos
Eli and Addy

Saturday, July 28, 2007

A Season of Stink....

So anyone who knows me and my wife knows that when it rains it defintely pours. For us, things don't just happen a little bit at a time - things happen BIG and they happen all at once. I'm not the type of person who believes in luck but I once heard a saying that goes "If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all." I see a lot of truth to that - but then there's always sunshine at the end of it and maybe a rainbow or two.

I am of the school of thought that believes life is what you make of it. Not to sound cliche, but if the world hands you lemons - make some lemonade! That's sort of my philosophy. I firmly believe that life is a continuous cycle of seasons. The Bible says "to everything there is a season." Therefore, I've pretty much got it narrowed down to four distinctly different seasons - much like that of the worldy climate (Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer): a season of blessing, a season of rejoicing, a season of preparation, and a season of storms. Hey, three out of four ain't bad! If you think about this it might actually make sense to you.

The season of blessing is a time of reflection on what God has done for you, where He has you, where He's brought you from, and how You've gotten there. The season of rejoicing is the realization that, regardless of what has happened in the past or what will happen in the future, everything has been and will be alright - you are taken care of, provided for, you are appreciated, affirmed in your life's calling, and are ready to enter into preparation for your next adventure - which leads us to our next season. The season of preparation is just what it sounds like - preparation. This is a season that is uncomfortable for some because, like me, it's a bit difficult to tell you are in it. Take me for example. One day everything is going great - I'm loving life. And then, all of a sudden, there is this distinct feeling of discomfort - like my direction is being shifted. At first, there is much resistance, and rightly so - no one in their right mind would want to feel out from under the loving atmosphere of appreciation and affrimation. But, nonetheless, this is a season where God is moving me toward a different direction. It's exciting and frightening all at the same time. It's not until I realize that this shift in my innermost being means there is a really BIG change coming. Now, it's not always a significant change - but it's a change. Most people don't care much for change and that makes it difficult. This is where the season of storms comes into play.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure the word "storms" characterizes this season enough. It should be called a season of "stink." The only reason I chose that word is because most people get offended if you use stronger language to describe the feeling I get when I am in this season. It stinks when you're in it. But - it is truly a time of learning, a time of refinement, purifying. It's not always fun - it's not what I would describe as a good time. It hurts a little and is extremely trying at times. However, it's where I need to be in order to grow.

That's the season my wife and I are currently in. Which is not a bad thing. But, when it rains it pours in my family and the stormy season can sometimes last for a while. The good thing, on the other hand, is that somewhere there's always a rainbow. From the Bible, we know that the rainbow was a sign to Noah that the flood was over and a promise from God that He would not devestate the earth in that way again. Will we be refined in the same way again - I don't know!
All I know is that my wife wrecked her vehicle, our washing machine broke, we found termites, my son has a belly-ache, my car stereo broke, I turned thirty, and there are some BIG changes and some scary changes happening in our lives at the moment that we are uncertain of. This is some stressful stuff. But, it's comforting knowing that we are simply in a season of stink right now and that there is a fresh and beautiful season of blessing to follow!

No comments:

What we do....

What we do....
Our Calling