Our kiddos

Our kiddos
Eli and Addy

Monday, October 20, 2008

20/20 Vision

The old cliche "hindsight is always 20/20" is obviously a true and accurate statement (or else why would it be one of the most quoted statements in the history of cliches). But, just because something is true doesn't make it right, correct? For example, in the context of the statement, generally it's quoted because in retrospect you figure out you quite possibly could've done things differently, perhaps resulting in an entitrely different ending. But, if you think about it - should you be given a second chance at something - would you do it all over again? And if so, how? That being said, there are a lot of things I would like to do over. I'd like to fall in love with my wife all over again. I'd like to repeat my first two years of college. I'd like to possibly go back to high school (only the parts that I messed up - the rest I don't think I could stomach again). I'd like to re-learn how to tie my shoes (evidently I don't do the whole "bunny hop" thing - I figured that out as I was trying to teach my son how to tie his shoes and my wife gave me a look like "I can't believe you don't tie your shoes with the bunny hop rhyme" - apparently, I was neglected as a child). I'd like to repeat previous ministry opportunities. But, let's face it - they're not going to happen again........at least not in the same context as before. Therefore, my questions are......should it be said that hindsight is always 20/20? Or could it be rephrased a little more correctly? Because, really, when you look back at things, you're pretty much always going to find an area where you could've done things differently - but, given those same circumstances again, I'm not so sure you wouldn't make the same decision. Now, I could be totally wrong. But, I think the moral of the story here lies in another cliche: "If I only knew then what I know now." If that were the case, of course you could change things......or at least make a better attempt at doing the right thing to keep yourself out of the hospital after a night of binge-drinking and diving into a pool that was only five feet deep......waking up in a hospital in a neck brace and being in a wheel chair for the next eight weeks and then on crutches for another four. But, that's just one scenario. There are a lot more cases out there, I'm sure. But, if it were possible to go back and repeat a time in your life with the knowledge you now possess, why wouldn't you?



Just food for thought....

No comments:

What we do....

What we do....
Our Calling