Our kiddos

Our kiddos
Eli and Addy

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A New Christmas Eve

So, I'm blogging on Christmas Eve.....should I feel depressed about that? I'm actually just trying to give everyone an update on the "newness" of North Carolina. I had a conversation the other day about how different it is being away from home for the holidays. It's not that things are so different as it is that I am in a different place geographically. Truthfully, it's sort of cool being in new surroundings at a very familiar time of year. I mean, I've lived through 31 Christmas Eve's in my life - but I've never lived through a North Carolinian Christmas. So, really - I get to experience the lights and festivities of a completely new geographical location as opposed to seeing the same houses in our old neighborhood with the same lights and wreaths. It's not so bad. There's a different type of chill in the air that I've never really experienced before. A slightly similar temperature yet with a unique and genuine scent. It's almost like an old sweater you find while cleaning out your attic that you recognize from a few years ago. You put it on and it's familiar - but you hadn't worn it in so long it feels like a brand new shirt. That's sort of like how it is being away from home this time of year. You'd think I'd be depressed and all - when really, it's the same holiday I've experienced 31 times - only in a new location - with my wife, son, and daughter. The familiarity is there - I can feel that...... But, I get to breath in the scent of historical homesteads, 120 foot pine trees, rolling mountains, and feel the chill that will surely bring the year's second snow. I don't know - it's kind of nice.

So, from the Moad Clan in NC to all of you reading: Merry Christmas! And may you never forget the real reason for this blessed season - - Jesus Christ - - and what His birth means for you and me as believers.

- Moad!

2 comments:

Ginger Estes said...

Happy Holidays to you in North Carolina from me in Kentucky! You are SO right about celebrating somewhere other than "home". I love you and am so incredibly proud of you and the person you have become. You have a stunningly beautiful family and so many gifts to be thankful for. Keep up the blogging, you have no idea how much I need to hear you. Always - your sister.

Little Lindsay Clan said...

I so understand the weirdness of spending Christmas away. NJ isn't exactly anywhere I thought I'd be. At least you are still in the south!! We just enjoyed the day as a family. very low key, but enjoyable!! Take care

What we do....

What we do....
Our Calling