Our kiddos

Our kiddos
Eli and Addy

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Something in a shade of green....

Why is the color associated with envy green? Does green signify something specific? What about money? I mean, the color of money is green. Does that associate green with greed - wanting everything or all of something and being envious of someone who has it? Or is it something I may not be thinking about? Why can't envy be associated with the color blue, black, yellow or orange (orange would be a good envy color)?

I associate the color green with being sick. The look of someone who is about to vomit. That's kind of an intersting contrast - could envy equal illness? I've heard the phrase "she's sick with envy." Does that give me reason to suspect envy could be a sickness? I'm envious of some things - people, tangible things that shouldn't really matter, careers, etc... Am I sick?

I think, in a lot of ways, that wanting something you don't have is alright. But being envious of someone who has what you want isn't exactly good. Does that make sense? The Bible clearly states that we should not covet. But, yet we all still do in some way, shape or form. When will we ever be content with what we have or who we are, what we do or where we live? Why do we continually try and "out-do" other people? Who are we trying to impress?

My goal in life is to be content with what God has blessed me with. I'm not rich, by any means, but our bills are paid. I don't drive the coolest vehicle, but my car is paid for. I don't live in the nicest home, but my wife and I are extremely pleased with it. I'm not a genius, but I'm not an idiot, either. I'm not the best husband or father in the world, but my family loves me. So, why am I green (sick) with envy when it comes to people who seem to have such an amazing relationship and walk with God? I want to know Him on a deeper level, where I, like David, can be considered a man after God's own heart! Is that type of envy a sickness? I don't think so. I think that is what God wants for us all. He wants for us to slip into something in a shade of green and approach Him with boldness. He wants us to want Him with such a passion that we are consumed with Him, His Word, His love, all facets of Him. We want to be the ones He dreams about - His perfect bride; a bride who knows His wishes so well that we don't need to ask what He wants us to do. Surely that type of envy can't be a bad thing, can it? Our God is a jealous God; can we be jealous for our God? I think so.

Your thoughts?

2 comments:

Ginger Estes said...

I am really fond of purple. I find it hilarious that you chose this topic to discuss. I have recently been doing some heavy reflection because of a project I am in, and have found myself drawn to colors. As you know, the sky does something for me and it doesn't matter what color it is. Although, my favorite has to be just before a storm. The dark mixed with light, the contrasting blues, and every so often a rainbow that splashes amazing color in the sky with no real rhyme or reason. These are the things that I concentrate on. I don't know that one color (green or purple) can truly represent an idea or image. I think that God gives all things, and with that - enjoys splashing colors that contrast just to mix things up. Of course, I could also spend hours and hours justifying why I like contrasting and comparing. I suppose that is something else to make us wonder about the glory of God. Have a great one!

lauren said...

hey- i actually like the color green, and the Father must like it too because you can just look outside your window or in your backyard and see why.

i think its not only natural but we should want to have encounters with our creater--- we were created for that! in fact- we should be having them. no other living creature on the planet can communicate and know God! that just blows my little mind.
its also great to hear about other people's encounters as well and its natural to want the same thing for ourself- especially when we see the Joy of the Lord. when it turns ugly is when we resent the person or God for their relationship and feel depressed and go around moping, letting it affect who we are and how we treat other people.

because in all reality we can have encounters, we shall love the Lord our God and know him, it shall come to pass, but we must seek. what does this statement actually mean? i think it not only means: pray and read your bible but also means "to live a holy and righteous lifestyle". if we each took a look at our lives rightnow- how much of it would look like christ and how much of it would look like the world? whatever parts that are of the world- HAVE GOT TO GO AND BE SHUT DOWN!because whether we think so or not that secular stuff we hold onto and keep in our homes could be and IS blocking the annointing in many places in our lives and the ability to let the holy spirit work through us.

for example i have recently been convicted about getting rid of all movies that i have in my house that i know are not Godly, and music where i know that the musician was and is not inspired by God. like-i have always liked the beatles but their music is not inspired by the love of Jesus and i could go on and on, therefore its gotta go. am i even going to miss those records and c.ds? they are not of God and anything in our lives that isnt have got to be shut down! its all going to burn anyway- in the end...and what is the only thing that will last?
i love you. love Lauren Lenzini Steininger

What we do....

What we do....
Our Calling