Our kiddos

Our kiddos
Eli and Addy

Thursday, May 1, 2008

That's my boy!

I love being a dad – I love it. My children are what I consider to be my crowning achievement. I realize I didn’t fly solo on the operation……I couldn’t have done it without the love and support of my wife and all (I mean, who else is going to give birth – I certainly can’t). But, of all the stupid stuff I’ve done and ridiculous mistakes I’ve made – I finally got something right. Of course, I give all the credit to that fact that my wife and I are truly blessed by God. But, man……seriously, my wife and I can make some pretty good looking kids.

I look at Eli – and he looks so much like me it’s sometimes scary. He’s much, much smarter than I was at his age. But, he’s more loving and compassionate. He does, however, have a bit of a behavior problem at the moment. But, I think all little boys go through that rambunctious, talking back, pushing the envelope phase where, as parents we want to pinch their little heads off. Yet, I still think boys should be boys. Let them be rambunctious. Let them play rough and be sweaty. Let them become enamored with superheroes. Who says they have to be perfectly well-behaved little gentlemen at five years old anyway? They’re just coming to grips with their own little universe.

If you think about it – it makes sense. Too many times, we (as parents) have this grand idea when we first find out we’re pregnant that “My son will be well-behaved, smart, dress well, and be the most popular child in his school.” It’s not until about two years later that you throw all that crap out the window and just pray you don’t kill him yourself. We get tired of running after them, cleaning mud off of them, telling them “no – don’t stick your hand in that,” or “would you please stop.” Eventually ( and sometimes it takes a while) you get to the point where you finally understand that this young man in front of you is his own little person. He has no personal agenda or plans for retirement. He has no preconceived notions or any idea of what he’s getting himself into. And granted, we want to protect our children the very best we can – but we have to understand that we won’t always be there for them in their time of need. We have to pray for them constantly that they will be the men of God they are supposed to be. But, (and this might sting a bit) God didn’t create men to be popular or dress well. He didn’t create men to go into any situation and just accept it. God created men (no offense, ladies) to provide by the sweat of their brow and to protect their families. He made us analytical and gutsy, fearlessly full of testosterone and adrenaline for a reason. So, let boys be boys. Let them run and jump, climb trees and be adrenaline junkies. It’s what they were created to do. But, let them do it within reason. Give them parameters without walls – boundaries without borders. But, more than anything….give them unfailing, unconditional love and support like there is no tomorrow.

My Eli – I am so proud of him it’s ridiculous. Not too long ago I remember spending what seemed to be forever just looking at him and watching him drink his Sprite and I was smitten – I mean, I am in deep “smit.” I love that boy! He never stops amazing me. That’s what parenthood is all about, I think. Doing the very best job you can to protect them – but letting them learn on their own some things we simply cannot teach them. Of course we make mistakes and they do, too. But what sweet lessons we can learn together if we’ll take the time to spend with them.


Be blessed,
-Moad!

No comments:

What we do....

What we do....
Our Calling